Thursday, June 26, 2014

Someone to Walk Beside Me

In my last post I mentioned that my paternal grand-parents were Portuguese. Family dynamics being what they are, I actually relate more strongly with my the Irish side inherited from the maternal branch of my family. On the other hand, my brother has a stronger connection to the Portuguese side (or so it seems to me). Having decided on the Camino Portugués, it would seem a shame to go and leave him behind.  So I decided to invite him to join me.

Of course there are more reasons. Like Shrek’s onion, the motivations of most things with the Camino have layers. The one given above is the surface layer. I’ll spare you from reading the deeper layers.

So how does one invite someone else to spend weeks trudging through foreign countries on the way to a Cathedral? By text message, of course!

“I’m thinking about a very funky vacation next year,” the text said, “and I think you should go with me.” After a series of texts and phone conversations, he agreed to go with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment